Run Facebook ads on Prelaunch.com pages
Last year Facebook updated its policies and with this, change the usual way of pixel tracking. After those changes any given domain can host a maximum of eight events and therefore it becomes practically impossible for platforms such as Prelaunch.com to keep Pixel running on all their product pages.
Facebook also requires advertisers to verify their own domains with their Facebook Business Manager. As your product page is hosted under Prelaunch.com and you do not technically own the domain , ( the old Facebook Pixel can not be used directly on Prelaunch.com product page.) we came up with a workaround, which is our back-end server that will deliver events from your Prelauch.com product page directly to Facebook's server under your domain name.
Here is a short summary of steps on how to use this solution. Later in this document we will cover each step in more details
- Register domain. If you already have domain for your product then skip this step
- Verify your domain in your facebook Business Manager
- Create a new Facebook Pixel in your Facebook Ad Account.
- Create events that need to be tracked in your Facebook Business manager (currently we are supporting only ViewContent , Lead, Purchase events. PageView event tracked automatically )
- Send Pixel ID,Pixel token and you domain name to Prelaunch.com
- Share you Pixel read access with Prelaunch.com Business Manager
- Run your facebook advertisement.
Step 1. Register a Domain
In order to purchase a domain you need to go to any domain name registrar such as Bluehost, GoDaddy or any other and find a suitable domain for your product. As this domain will be used for sending Pixel events to Facebook conversion API it does not require to be very expensive domain,so any domain that can be verified in your Facebook account will do the work, however it is strongly recommended that you choose a meaningful domain name that somehow relates to your product as at some point you might want to use it for some other purposes.
Step 2. Verify your domain in Facebook account
Domain verification on Facebook is happening using DNS verification. The recommended way of actions is to have separate domains for each Pixel: meaning that if you have two products on which you want to run advertisements then you need to have two separate domains and verify them in your facebook business manager.
Check out Facebook documentation on domain verification.
- Go to the Settings tab in Business Manager and click Brand Safety then
- Click Add New Domains button.
- After adding a domain you see the steps necessary to verify your domain with a DNS TXT record or through HTML File Upload.
- DNS verification is the simplest method.
- Go to your domain registrar and navigate to the DNS settings page.
- Add a new TXT record to your domain.
- Wait for your DNS changed to be accepted then return to Business Manager and click Verify button
Here is Facebook video on how to pass the domain verification step
Step 3. Create new Facebook Pixel and add events that need to be tracked.
- Go to your Ad account and under Event Manager click on “Connect Data Sources”
- On the opened popup select “Web”.
- Name your pixel. It’s strongly recommended to name your pixel as your Prelaunch.com product name. That would make it easy for us to find you. Pixel when you share it with us.
- Follow “Continue pixel set up” and then click on “Install code manually
- Select the events that are going to be tracked on Prelaunch.com.
- PageView - this event is triggered when page is loaded
- View content - this event will be triggered when your Prelaunch.com product page is loaded and is scrolled to 75%.
- Lead - this event will be triggered when someone subscribes to your product Prelaunch.com
- Purchase - this event will trigger when someone makes a deposit on your product Prelaunch.com page.
- For each one of the events, please select the following parameters in order for your Ads to perform more effectively.
- Event ID
- Client IP Address
- Browser ID (fbp) Cookie
- External ID
- Click ID (fbc) Cookie
- Email (hashed with SHA256)
- After adding parameters to all events just press on “Continue” to review the whole setup.
- Pass to the next step and then press “Finish: button. No need to send instructions to anyone, this part is already covered by our backend system
Step 4: Provide Pixel ID,Pixel token and you domain name to Prelaunch.com
As of now your Pixel information and domain name can be shared with us by sending mail to “email@example.com” email address. Please make sure to specify to use following subject line for email
“Pixel for [product name]” , this will help us to identify your pixel faster and make necessary configuration changes.
Please also make sure that you have provided your Pixel information to us before starting advertisement on your product.
In the nearest future we will provide you an option to set this information in your project settings directly in the Prelaunch.com platform.
Step 5: Share you Pixel and Ad account with read access with Prelaunch.com Business Manager
Prelaunch Business Manager ID: 741219523714944
Go to your left-hand side of the screen and find Business Setting > Data Sources> Pixels
Select the pixel and select “Assign Partners”
Make sure you have admin access to your own Business Account to be able to share your pixel with Prelaunch, input Prelaunch’s Business Manager ID (741219523714944). Please also grant Prelaunch full control access to this pixel to allow CAPI work.
FB supporting article regarding sharing pixel https://www.facebook.com/business/help/352686481592916?id=1205376682832142
You will receive a notification from FB if Prelaunch accepts your sharing request.
How to share Ad account with Prelaunch Business Manager
Go to your left-hand side of the screen in Business Setting >Accounts > Ad account
Select the Ad account and select “Assign Partners”
You will have 2 options to Assign Partners:
a) Assign partner by Business ID:
Input Prelaunch’s Business Manager ID (741219523714944) and grant view performance access
b) Assign partner by Get link to share:
Grant view performance access and copy the link to share
Step 6: Run your facebook advertisement.
After setting up all above steps you are ready to start your advertisement campaign. In order to check your data in Events Manager select the pixel, from “Overview” choose the event you want to check and look data more detailed by clicking on “View Details”